Generated with Avocode. Generated with Avocode.
15th June 2009

Warwickshire v Durham latest news day 4

Play started on time this morning, with weather conditions much better today, think we will escape rain! Durham resume on 403-7 with Blackwell and Thorp at the crease.

Thorp is out for 10 after being stumped by Ambrose off Patel.  Shortly after, Blackwell brought up his 150 which was hit off 228 balls and included seventeen four’s and one six.

Durham were 430 – 9 after Blackwell was bowled by Rankin on 158 shortly after hitting a huge six.   Graham Onions was the last man standing after Stephen Harmison (1) was caught by Bell, becoming Patel’s third victim.

The Durham side posted a first innings total of 433.  Graham Onions opened the bowling attack from the City End with Westwood facing. Scott Borthwick fields in place of Mark Stoneman who is still suffering with thigh strain.  

Callum Thorp came on in the thirteenth over, bowling from the City End and Ian Blackwell replaced Stephen Harmison, who had hit Ian Bell on the hand and Frost in the head during is spell, at the Pavilion end for the penultimate over before lunch. 

At the break Warwickshire were 56-1.

Graham Onions and Callum Thorp resumed the bowling after lunch before Ian Blackwell came on at the Pavilion End inthe 30th over.  Bell and Frost reached a partnership of 100 in the following over, scoring at a similar rate to Durham’s innings but with only one wicket down.

The batsmen reached their fifties within two overs of one another, with Frost reaching the milestone first having faced 109 balls and including nine four’s.  Bell’s fifty was off 113 balls and he hit eight fours.

Dale Benkenstein came on at the City End in the 44th over and in his third over made a breakthrough when Frost was caught on 56 by Gareth Breese at slip.

At tea Warwickshire were 168-3.

Stephen Harmison took two wickets in consecutive overs with Trott bowled on 25 and Troughton (16) caught by Muchall at slip, leaving Warwickshire 200-5 in the 68th over.

Ambrose (10) was Harmison’s third victim after he spooned a short ball up into the air which was caught by Mustard, taking Stephen’s figues for this spell to 5-2-7-3.

Carter was sent back to the pavilion without scoring after he was trapped lbw by Blackwell the following over.  The new ball was taken at the earliest opportunity, Graham Onions bowling from the City End and seven overs left to play.

Chris Woakes was hit on the arm from a Harmison delivery and quickly signalled to the dressing room to have a guard brought on, however it proved unnecessary after he was caught by Thorp, at third slip, the very next ball having contributed 24 runs.

Harmison picked up his second five wicket haul this season after Patel was caught by Breese on 6 with an over to go and Warwickshire requiring 25 more runs to avoid the follow on.

At the close of play the hosts were 264-9.

It’s quite overcast in Birmingham this morning, weather reports consulted yesterday suggested that we could lose the entire day to rain but at present any rain is holding off…just!  Play started on time with Durham 322-6, Blackwell (107*) and Stoneman (21*), with Gordon Muchall as runner, at the crease.

Durham picked up their fourth batting point, without loss, but the rain brought play to a halt at 11.50am with the score 362-6.  Early lunch was taken and play was scheduled to re-start at 1.25pm however more rain started to fall, and quite heavily at that.

Rain did stop for about five minutes later in the afternoon but no sooner did the groundstaff start to remove the first few weights from the covers, it had started raining again.

The sun started to break through around 3.30pm when the rain stopped, tea was taken at 3.40pm and play resumed at 4.15pm.

Mark Stoneman brought his fifty up with a six in the 112th over, having faced 80 balls and hitting eight boundaries.  He added fourteen more to his score before he was caught by Rankin off Woakes three overs later, bringing to an end his partnership with Blackwell, which had reached 93.  

A boundary from Callum Thorp pushed Durham past the 400 mark, collecting maximum batting points.

Bad light stopped play after half an hour at around 4.50pm and combined with further drizzle play was abandoned at 5.25pm with Durham 403-7.

After a training session at Edgbaston on Monday afternoon the Durham squad were able to head straight to the dressing room to pick up their kit and start their pre match warm up.  Durham go into this match in second place in the LV County Championship with 72 points, ten behind first placed Notts.  Warwickshire are seventh having played one game less than the rest of the sides in the table.

Warwickshire have accrued the most batting points of all the sides so far with 20 but only six bowling points.  Durham has a more balanced tally with 17 batting and 15 bowling points making up their tally.

Durham last played Warks in 2005 when they beat them by nine wickets at Riverside.  In the last 10 years the two sides have met seven times, with Durham winning three, losing two and the remaining two matches drawn.

Will Smith won the toss and elected to bat first, with Gareth Breese coming in for Mitchell Claydon in the only change to last week’s winning line up.

Chris Woakes, Warks leading wicket taker in the competition so far this season, opened the bowling at the City End with Durham picking up six runs in the first over.  At the end of Rankin’s second over from the Pavilion end Phil Mustard was brought on as a runner for Mark Stoneman, who retired hurt with thigh strain an over later on 17, Durham on 23.

Will Smith was trapped lbw by Woakes for 1.  Durham were 45-1 off 15 overs with Di Venuto and Muchall at the crease. 

At lunch Durham were 95-1 (Di Venuto 34, Muchall 37).

Woakes picked up his second wicket after lunch in the 32nd over when Muchall was out lbw on 39.  Michael Di Venuto fell to the same fate having added 40 to the score leaving Durham 114-3 earning Warks their first bonus point of the match.

Dale Benkenstein was dropped by Ian Bell on 11 after edging it to slip, but his luck was short lived as he was caught by Troughton a couple of overs later on 14.  With 40 overs remaining Durham were 120-4.

At tea the visitors were 172-4(Blackwell 46* and Mustard 8*).

Ian Blackwell’s fifty, which was scored off 81 balls and included seven four’s and a six, was brought up with a four and took Durham’s total to 186.

Phil Mustard (24) was caught by Bell off the bowling off Patel, with Gareth Breese taking his place alongside Blackwell.  Warks took the new ball in the 80th over, with Woakes resuming from the City End.

The press box couldn’t agree on who was responsible for Breese being dropped on 21 so it was attributed to a Bell/Frost combination.

Blackwell went on to notch up his 23rd first class century, his first in the LV= County Championship for Durham, in the 92nd over having faced 148 balls.  His knock included 13 fours and a six. 

Gareth Breese was caught by Troughton off Carter on 48 with just two overs left with Durham 304-6.  Breese’s dismissal saw a return to the crease for Mark Stoneman who brought Gordon Muchall to the field as his runner.

At the close of play Durham were 322-6 with Blackwell on 107 and Stoneman on 21.  See you tomorrow!

Durham travel to Edgbaston, with back to back Championship wins under their belt, to face Warwickshire in this week’s LV County Championship match (Tue 16 – Fri 19 June).

Head Coach Geoff Cook has added two spinners, Gareth Breese and Scott Borthwick, to the eleven that beat Lancashire at the weekend.

Keep up to date with the latest match news via the Durham website or follow us on Twitter

Michael Di Venuto (23)
Mark Stoneman (26)
Will Smith (2) Captain
Gordon Muchall (24)
Dale Benkenstein (44)
Ian Blackwell (37)
Phil Mustard (19) Wicket Keeper
Callum Thorp (36)
Mitchell Claydon (25)
Graham Onions (9)
Stephen Harmison (10)
Gareth Breese (70)
Scott Borthwick (16)