Generated with Avocode. Generated with Avocode.
24th May 2010

Durham CCC v Kent CCC Update from Day One

Durham elected to bat first but lost four early wickets and were 27-4 in quite humid conditions which was causing some swing.  After 8.2 overs Michael Di Venuto was caught in the slips by Van Jaarsveld off Ntini for 9 and Scott Borthwick nicked another Ntini delivery to Geraint Jones having faced three balls. 

Khan picked up two wickets in quick succession with Kyle Coetzer trapped lbw for 1 and Dale Benkenstein caught by Alex Blake for 10.

Gareth Breese became Khan’s third victim when he was caught by Denly at gully for 8, leaving Durham 48-5. Phil Mustard added two to the total before he was trapped lbw by Khan . 

Durham were 78-8 with Ben Stokes becoming Ntini’s third victim when he was caught by Blake on 27, the highest total with the bat of the home team’s innings and Liam Plunkett (9) becoming Coles’ only wicket of the innings when he was caught by Van Jaarsveld in the over before lunch.

Chris Rushworth (16) was bowled outright by Ntini just after Durham passed the hundred mark and Khan mopped up the final wicket, taking his haul to five, when he had Stephen Harmison trapped lbw for 4. Mitchell Claydon was the last man standing with 22* and the Durham first innings total set at 121.

Kent managed to put on 71 before Liam Plunkett made the breakthrough enticing Rob Key (40) to edge the ball to Dale Benkenstein in the slips.  Joe Denly (24) fell shortly after, to Plunkett again, but this time the catch was taken by Michael Di Venuto.

Callum Thorp and Ben Harmison were enforced substitutes for the remainder of the day after Ben Stokes went  over on his ankle as he tried to stop the ball from crossing the boundary down by the old scoreboard.  He was helped into one of the emergency vehicles and Durham physio Nigel Kent later informed us that he had suffered a badly sprained ankle.

Mitchell Claydon picked up two wickets in the innings with Jones caught by Coetzer for 21 and Sam Northeast out lbw for 8 leaving Kent 140-4.  Van Jaarsveld’s time in the middle was brought to an end when he was caught by Borthwick off the bowling off Stephen Harmison for 36.  At tea Kent were 146-5.

It was a bit of a frustrating final session for Durham but their patience was rewarded with three wickets, first of all, Alex Blake (2), who cut a Harmison delivery to Plunkett at gully, leaving Kent 152-6.  Then, Rushworth ended the 91 run partnership between Stevens and Coles and picked up his first wicket of the innings, bowling Coles on 34.  Simon Cook returned to the pavilion with a three ball duck after he was caught  by Di Venuto off Rushworth in the same over. 

At the close of play Kent were 305-8 with Stevens 99* and Khan 12*.