Generated with Avocode. Generated with Avocode.
9th April 2011

Day two round up from The Rose Bowl

Durham began day two on 413-6 with Mustard and Scott Borthwick resuming at the crease.  Borthwick added 17 to the total before he was the first of three catches for Nic Pothas behind the stumps, with de Wet the bowler on this occasion, leaving Durham 422-7. 

Liam Plunkett and Callum Thorp had short cameos in the middle with for former caught behind off Cork on 5 and the latter falling to the same fate as Borthwick for 2.

Stephen Harmison partnered Phil Mustard long enough for the captain to pass the fifty mark, from 57 deliveries, including eleven boundaries, before he was trapped lbw by Briggs, giving the youngster his maiden first class five-fer, on 12.

Durham were all out for 473.

Callum Thorp and Liam Plunkett opened the attack for Durham with Mitchell Claydon fielding in place of the missing Stephen Harmison.  Joe Coyne was called up to field to replace Mark Stoneman after it was confirmed that the opener had fractured his fourth metacarpal in the fielding warm up.  Stoneman had his hand put in plaster at the hospital and will be further assessed on Durham’s return to the north east.  

Durham’s defence started well when Thorp struck with the first delivery of the innings after Jimmy Adams wafted his bat in the air, edging the ball to Mustard behind the stumps.  

Harmison returned to the field to bowl the fourth over but the final two deliveries were completed by Liam Plunkett after it emerged that Harmison was suffering having been struck on the forearm whilst batting.  Harmison was sent for an x-ray to determine the extent of the damage. The x ray revealed that he had suffered severe bruising to the tissue.  He received intensive treatment throughout the afternoon and his condition will be assessed on Sunday to determine whether or not he will play any further part in the game.

Plunkett picked up the second wicket in the eighth over when Myburgh (32) was superbly caught by Borthwick at gully, leaving Hampshire 47-2.

Ben Stokes was brought into the attack and took the next three wickets, firstly, bowling Dawson for 50. Hants were then 171-4 when Vince was caught by Thorp on 18.  The third scalp was that of Neil McKenzie who had reached 75 before being trapped lbw, leaving the hosts 190-5.

Borthwick pegged them back when he returned to bowl, particularly troubling Ervine, who was eventually bowled by Blackwell for 33 as Hampshire stood at 261-6.  

At the close of play Hampshire were 280-6, Cork 9* and Pothas 50*. caught up with Ben Stokes at the close, “It was nice to get a decent spell under my belt, ten overs on the trot, which is something I’m not used to.  It was nice to pick up a few wickets as well.  I’m holding up alright, I’ve started the season a lot fitter than I was last year so I’m feeling pretty good.

“During the winter I worked a lot on my body alignment at the crease to help me with my control, which is a bit better than last year.  I was just keeping straight at the crease with all my alignments.  I think my consistency could have been a bit better, I need to get rid of the easy boundary ball I bowl, which comes once, sometimes twice an over, which I am working and hopefully will come as I get more overs under my belt.

“I think once we get past Pothas and Cork in the morning they haven’t really got anyone after that so once we get one of those out it shouldn’t take us very long to knock the tail over.”

Highlights of day two will be posted online at on Sunday morning.  Follow Sunday’s action, live, as it happens via our Live Match Chat facility, or on twitter (@durhamcricket)